Sunday, July 18, 2010

Enough is Enough!

If you've read one of my earlier posts, you'll know I'm an avid Arsenal Fan. If you didn't, well, now you do. And like any self-respecting Gooner, I have been vexed enough by the oft-quoted 'Cesc-transfer-saga'. I really liked Barcelona as a club, had respect for their players, their history.

Now I've had enough of this nonsensical 'Catalan roots' of an excuse to take Cesc to Barcelona. Our Cesc. A player who was overlooked while at the club, spotted by Wenger, nurtured and developed by the Arsenal Academy, now 'Belongs' to Barcelona.

Xavi goes as far as to say that we have 'loaned' him.
Let's put the facts straight. Arsenal bought Cesc after our scouts spotted him as a future talent. He was trained, developed and given the chance to prove himself at the highest stage. And now at 23 after becoming a world champion and our talismanic captain, we have to simply lose him?

Well, kudos to Wenger and his backroom for standing firm and not wilting under pressure. And now that Cesc himself has said that he is staying at the Emirates, the rumors are laid to rest - albeit only until the next transfer window.

I do not wish to berate Barcelona - their tapping up, players coming all out and saying Cesc was a Barca player, Puyol's jersey joke - all point to how low the Catalan hierarchy can stoop to get a player. FIFA, UEFA, the various football federations all know about this, but such is Barca's weight on the conference table, that complaining hardly matters.

For my part, I'm happy that Cesc is staying. He is a true professional. I don't know for how long we will have his services, and he ours, but for as long as that may last, he shall lead the Arsenal faithful faithfully. As my friend oft says, 'what matters is the final score'. Arsenal 1 - 0 Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment