Saturday, March 6, 2010

Life as a Grad Student

There's so much to say that I'm lost for words. Moronic it may sound. True it is. Bad Yoda imitation aside, there are so many differing thoughts in my mind on this topic that I find it hard to coalesce them into a cohesive whole. Where shall I start? I'll skip the part of coming to LA for a later post. Maybe I'll start from my first day here.

Tired, jet-lagged, a sense of deja-vu -- many epithets may describe my first day in the United States of America. And that too in Sunny California, the doors to Silicon Valley and The home of the Stars - Los Angeles. You see I am a Grad Student at the University of Southern California.and I had just landed after what was a long flight from India.

Fortunately, I had my cousin pick me up and whisk us away in his shiny Beemer to his pad in Century City. Little did I know that being totally spoilt over the next 2 days wouln't do me a world of good.

We(I'm living with 2 other roommates, and also my college pals for the better part 4 years) shifted to our 1 Bedroom/Studio apartment a couple of days later and that was when all the, shall I say turmoil, began. I'll spare you the details, though rest assured it was a torrid few weeks. Having to manage the household chores, study under a new system and do a part-time job all at the same time is in no way a mean feat. Though I must say I wasn't too disappointed with my GPA of 3.7, it could certainly have been better.

Fast forward six months, and I'm in the middle of my second semester with Spring Break approaching. I have shifted to CS - Game Development, made my first mini-game, made great new friends and am working on my first IPhone Game.

Well, more in my next post.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment